Saturday, August 8, 2009

PITIFUL!

Pitiful describes many things about this week:


1.My ability to update my blog.


2. The amount of time I have spent building a website!


3. Our unexpected visitor.


I wanted to take one day at a time and write about my She Speaks trip. Well...I got all the way to Thursday! Pitiful!


Instead of filling in my blog I decided to build my website http://www.godsgroovygirl.com/. Part of my She Speaks training was on marketing myself and catching the attention of people through a value statement and a tag line. Why should people want to hire me and what value will I leave with their church or organization when I leave them? I want to be known for more than, "She was a nice speaker. I liked her outfit."


So I thought about what I bring to the stage and what I leave there. I HOPE that I leave a passion and a desire for women to start a new trend in being in tune with God, following after Him, life change, getting into the groove He has made for them to follow. There was my tag line! The domain was open and I went for it. And you want to know what was cool? As I fretted over buying the domain and building the site and the cost, I prayed that God would give me clarity that this was the right thing to do. I added up what it would cost to build and run the site for 3 months and then I checked my checking account which had my donations for She Speaks in it. (I knew I had just a little left over from the trip.) It was exactly the amount plus 1 cent! I couldn't believe that I had the exact amount through donation! So thank you to those who donated to my trip. You helped pay for my new website also.



The last thing that was just pitiful was our unexpected guest on Thursday. On Wednesday, I heard this dog in my woods just barking its head off. I had not heard this dog before and after it went on for 1/2 hour straight through my quiet time, I decided to find the dog and rip its head off. Just kidding...sort of. But I did go down to see if it was stuck or what. As soon as I called for it, it ran off and I went back to my quiet time. The next morning, during my quiet time AGAIN, the same dog was back and he brought a buddy to join in the barking. This wasn't normal barking ...it was as if it was barking AT something . Visions of baby deer and defenseless, adorable kittens flashed through my head. I went back down the hill and the dogs took off. I decided to search for a bit to see if I came across anything. I felt a little like Nancy Drew as I pieced together clues like trampled plants, muddy footprints, muddied water...and then I saw it! Laying in the creek bed, almost completely covered with mud, was an Opossum. It appeared that it had fallen into the mud which acted like quicksand and trapped it. By all appearances, I think it had been there for days. I thought it was dead, but upon further investigation, she was barely breathing.


I got gloves, a box, and a towel and pulled the poor, pitiful thing out of the mud. To this day, I have never seen such a pitiful sight as her. She was caked with mud and skinny as anything....see for yourself. This is our guest after I washed her off with 3 gallons of warm water to remove the mud.


It seemed as though her back may have been broken, so we called the Humane Society and they sent Animal Control. During our wait, she started coming out of her "playing dead" mode and her little nose started sniffing the air. We offered her a little snack and she devoured it. She ate a whole hot dog and a can of cat food before Animal Control came. The lady assured my kids that they would take care of her and a vet would check her out. If she was OK, they would get her strong and then release her. She even said she would contact us and release the opossum in our yard if she did recover.
I know not everyone would have rescued this baby, but my dad taught me that you do what's best for any animal you can. So little Miss Pitiful at least got a chance and my kids got a chance to help one of God's precious, all be it ugly, creatures.
Day two of She Speaks will have to wait another day!

2 comments:

Mama Sky said...

ummm... blech! Well done with the opossum, but really, blech! Can't wait to hear more about She Speaks!

Jodi said...

I already knew what your comment would be Sky, from our conversation on the phone about the opossum. Miss Pitiful did say she was glad she wasn't stuck in your backyard. :)