Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Ponderings of a Mom on Mother's Day!

I found myself mesmerized by the life around me on Mother's Day.
First, there was Tahd. I have always called him my first Mother's Day present. He was born the day after Mother's Day in 1993. I spent that day before preparing to meet him the next day...planned induction. I celebrated that Mother's Day knowing I was getting the greatest gift the next day.
This past Mother's Day was also Tahd's 16th birthday.
He played on the worship team and I was so blessed by watching him worship God through his music. I took in those moments, hoping I would never forget the day he turned 16. We have grown incredibly closer since his illness and I cherish the time that we have had together this past year.
Kelsey...she is a beauty.
We spent the day with the entire Curtis family(minus Aaron and Jen) and I watched Rosie and Rachel and Asher shadow her every move. They truly love her and she is just so sweet and tender to them. She was especially doting on Asher as he was missing his mom and dad. I thought how great of a mom she will be someday. She has such tenderness to kids.
Levi's moment was during church.
He seemed to want to almost curl up on my lap. We couldn't get any closer. He has always been a mama's boy and sometimes that is overshadowed by Wyatt. I loved feeling his warm body next to me as we followed along in my Bible together. Levi always spent the mornings first moments on my lap when he was little. I remember the day after I brought Wyatt home and Levi came downstairs to climb in my lap and there was a baby laying where he used to sit. He just smiled and slid up next to me. It was a sad moment for me, but his eyes almost said,
"It's OK...I'm the big boy now."
Wyatt's moment was tender.
We were at Stephanie's before the whole crowd got there
and Wyatt headed to the piano.
He played it softly and tenderly and sang, "Hallelujah...Hallelujah!"
It wasn't just him singing a song...he was worshipping like I have never seem.
I took that moment in and committed to never forgetting that moment ever! Wyatt has been asking a lot of questions about God. It has been wonderful and at times quite entertaining to talk to him about spiritual matters. Like one day he said, "So mom! God and Jesus...what's up with all that?"OK...I wasn't sure if he was looking for a definition about the trinity or what. I think that when I tell him that Jesus lives in my heart, he pictures a mini Jesus action figure in my body.
I loved spending the with some of my favorite moms like Stephanie.
She has always sheltered Chad and I under her wing. I loved being with the Grandmas too. I am not going to wallow in self-pity, but when you can't honor your own mom, it means a lot to be around ones that you can. I started my own tradition a few years ago that I would give cards or flowers or something to a different mom who is special to me in place of my own. This year it was Stephanie and Ruby. Ruby's early morning call to wish me Happy Mother's Day was a precious gift. Being honored by Don and Stephanie at their house was another.
Watching Skyler with Jen's kids, being pseudo-mom,
was another precious moment.
Knowing that very soon she will take on motherhood in a way that most of us wouldn't contemplate because of the "issues" was exciting and humbling. I am so excited for her!
Even though I wasn't with Jen,
one of my favorite mom friends, I loved being with her kids and family and thinking about how wonderful of a mom she is. Her kids are some of the most special kids to me. (You are my other favorite mom friend, Lynn...I know you are reading!)
No gift could ever match my moments on Mother's Day.
Thank you to all who made it special!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

LOL!! Thanks for the props, you know I am reading... Love you!!