Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Mormon Who Became A Baptist...well, sort of!

Saturday I spoke at Kennesaw First Baptist Church for an event that they called, "On The Dot." I was so honored to spend the evening with these ladies and share my testimony. Skyler Curtis went along with me. When I was first approached about sharing my testimony and whether or not it would fit into their theme for the evening, that Christ is always on the dot in our lives, I confidently said yes. Little did I know that He was going to make sure that I truly believed that He does show up on time and not a moment too soon.

As I was getting ready the week before to share, I felt like I kept hitting a brick wall. I likened it to a back draft. Every time I tried to go forward with planning my testimony/teaching I would hit this fiery wall and I just had to stop. See, I feel like I have come to a place in my life that sharing my testimony is not JUST about what God saved me from, but also about what He saved me for. I try to pull a Biblical teaching into my testimony, because that is one aspect of my life that I feel He saved me for...to speak God's truths to women. But what seemed like a simple thing to plan was leaving me feeling scared to death that I did not know what to do. Sure I could have just gone up and shared my testimony like I had the last time and it probably would have been fine, but I was wise to the fact that God wanted it done a different way, and it would not have been honoring of Him to do it the same way. So...I waited...I fretted...I got frustrated...I got mad at everyone...and I sat with a sick feeling in my gut.

Saturday morning, Skyler asked me if I was ready. Sure I was ready...I was ready to hear from God and know what on earth He wanted me to do!!!!! She said, "Isn't it funny that you are supposed to be teaching about Christ being on the dot and that is exactly what you are waiting on?"

NO, it's not funny!
But...yeah, it is...it is funny.
OK God!
You have my attention!

At about 1 pm that day, I prayed again and just asked for clear vision of how He wanted me to share and asked His forgiveness in trying to do it myself. Within a minute He made it perfectly clear how to express what He wanted to say to the women. Still, I wasn't sure how to end it, but I left for the event confident that HE would end it "on the dot." Sure enough, when the moment came, He gave me clarity as I spoke. He didn't show up before I needed Him. He WAS on the dot.

The event was such a blessing to me. Stephanie and her mom attended, not even knowing when they purchased their tickets that I was the speaker. When I told Stephanie where I would be speaking next, she said, "Oh it's you! It's you. My mom and I are attending the event and when we asked who the speaker was, they said, "It's some Mormon who became a Baptist." Well, close but no cigar! I kept thinking as I was about to share, "Someone out there is going to be waiting for me to start talking about Salt Lake City!"

My favorite moments of a speaking engagement are the moments afterwards....the afterglow. It's not that I am dying to hear women tell me how great I was or something, because believe me, I have had them tell me how I could do it better next time. What I love is hearing the impact of a teaching on people, how God has moved in them during my brief moments on stage. Mostly, I love how women come and share with me their lives in the raw, and how that greatly impacts me. One women came up afterwards and told me how at the age of 71-years-old her father accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior and how her father-in-law did the same at the age of 88. She wanted to encourage me that there is still time for my parents to accept Jesus and not to fear....remembering that Christ will fight until the very last possible moment for every human life. I needed that!

As Skyler and I left the church that evening, she turned to me and said, "Did I ever tell you that I was baptized into the Mormon religion?"

I said with excitement,"It's you! You are the Mormon who got baptized!" HAAAAAA!

Good Times!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Is that a joke? Was Skyler kidding?

Lynn said...

Awesome.

Kara said...

Thanks for speaking on Friday at FCA. I was blessed. The kids seemed to really be paying attention too! Keep up the good work and thanks for waking up so stinking early!

Amy Carroll said...

Jodi,
I LOVED reading your post! It looks like God is creating quite a calendar for you, my friend.

I totally agree with you about the end of an event. Watching how God transforms lives is the fuel that keeps me going!

I'm so proud of you!!

Amy