Saturday, April 18, 2009

Putting “IT” Back in the Box

PUTTING IT BACK IN THE BOX

Nothing frustrates me more than trying to put something that I have purchased back into the box it came in the same way so that I can return it. The box never closes.

Putting it back in the box the same way proves to be an exhausting and ultimately a defeating task. Part of the reason I have this outcome is because I fail to pay attention to the way it came out of the box in the first place. I am too concerned with opening it, playing with it, and using it that I may have never considered that I might need to take it back.

I started to think about how this return issue is much like our own mouths and the words we have in them. Once we open our mouths and say what we choose to say, we cannot put them back. Good or bad, they are out of the box and they will not go back in, voiding any return policy. So many times I have wished that I could return the words that I have said because I didn't pay attention when I opened my mouth.

James 1:26 tells us that, "Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless." I don't know about you, but I don't want my words to be worthless.

James 2:9 says, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness."

As Bible Study facilitators, we would be wise to heed the counsel of James. Our participants should feel that Bible Study is a place of safety and we should set the example of examining our words carefully before we let them out of the box. Remember, we are charged with the care of "those who have been made in God's likeness." Ultimately our words will either praise God or curse Him.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart, be pleasing to you, my God." That is my desire.

( Many of you know that I am heading up a new leg of ministry for The Women's League, Inc. which will be podcasts from the website. This was my first attempt at writing one...actually God woke me up on Thursday with this whole idea for this specific one. Any comments?)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Very good. Short and to the point. I like!!